Palman Qui Meruit Ferat
|Brunswick Street Oval|
Address: Brunswick Street, North Fitzroy
Record Crowd: 34,765 - 11/8/1923 (VFL: Fitzroy v Essendon)
W.T. Peterson Community Oval (named after a 21-year veteran of the Fitzroy City Council) is better known to generations of Fitzroy Football Club supporters as the Brunswick Street Oval . It served as the club's home ground in the VFA competition, and later the VFL competition from 1883 until 1966. The Oval hosted 612 VFL home and away games, and 4 finals.
During the 1980s, the University Reds played home matches on Sundays at the Melbourne University Oval. In 1991, opposition clubs made it known that they didn't fancy playing on Sundays. The Reds wanted to play at the University Oval on Saturdays but the ground was fully booked. The Reds' brother clubs, the Blues and the Blacks, shared the ground on Saturdays. As the Reds were a distant third in the pecking order of the Melbourne University Football Club, so were forced to move on. So to Brunswick Street Oval we came.
In recent years the ground has had a new playing surface laid. In 2007, work will also commence on the re-development of the change rooms, and a new, and very welcomed, Social Club for the sole use of the clubs who use the ground as their home.
The playing ground is framed by the remaining original features of the oval: the visiting members gate structure at the corner Freeman and Brunswick Streets, and late nineteenth century grandstand, gates and ticket box on the opposite side of the oval. The main grandstand is on the Victorian Heritage Register.
Click on image above for larger picture